Important Update About Machu Picchu Entrance Times & Extra Hike Tickets for 2019 and 2020
The Peruvian Government has just announced changes to Machu Picchu entrance times, tickets, and extra hikes effective January 2019 and additional expected changes for 2020 and beyond. Below please find a summary of the changes.
Machu Picchu Entrance Times: in 2019 there will be 3 time slots with only 2800 people allowed to enter Machu Picchu each day (down from 4000 this year)
- First Entrance:
- Second Entrance:
- Third Entrance:
- Note: there will potentially be 4-5 entrance times in 2020
Extra Hikes: Extra hikes are now affected by the new time slots. If you have booked or plan to book Wayna Picchu or Machu Picchu mountain for 2019 please note you have two options:
- Stick with one entrance ticket to Machu Picchu (
6amentrance time) and go on the extra hike starting at 7am. Have the guided tour after the extra hike and then exit Machu Picchu after the guided tour. You would not have time to explore the ruin site after the guided tour with this option.
- Book an extra entrance ticket (
second timeslot) along with the extra hike to enter Machu Picchu at 6am, have the guided tour first and some free time and then stay for the extra hike at 9 or 10amand depart after the hike.
Inca Trail and Extra Hikes: Inca Trail has not been affected as much by the new rules. You will still enter Machu Picchu via the
- You can only hike one of the extra hikes per day – these are Peruvian Government rules
- The hikes are permitted and require a paid ticket that is linked to your passport info
- There are 200 slots at
7amfor Machu Picchu Mountain and 200 slots at 7am for Wayna Picchu and 200 slots at 9amfor Machu Picchu Mountain and 200 slots at 10amfor Wayna Picchu Mountain.
- If you want to hike both you need to return the following day to complete the second one.
- A guide is required to enter Machu Picchu with you but would not go on the extra hike with you unless you specifically request that.
- In 2019 they are no longer allowing box lunches to be brought into Machu Picchu so please plan accordingly with plenty of snacks (beyond the ones we provide if you feel you’ll need them).
- In 2019 they are no longer allowing plastic water bottles so come prepared with reusable water bottle(s).