CUSCO FOUR RUINS TOUR
The CUSCO FOUR RUINS TOUR is an amazing introduction to Incan history and culture.
It is a wonderful way to begin acclimatizing to the high altitude of Cusco City and get ready for a trek if you have booked one. The four ruins are also just above Cusco City and therefore the tour is easily completed in half a day. This tour is very popular and though quite touristy, there is plenty of open space in which to explore the large ruin sites. It is one of our most favorite tours offered and we personally rate it as a must not miss experience. It is also an excellent introduction to the awesome Inca construction capabilities. The massive, towering, rounded stone walls at Sacsayhuaman and the panoramic views of Cusco will take your breath away. This is a great outing that can be done on horseback, on foot, or by car depending on your preference and fitness level.
Minimum passengers necessary for tour departure: 2 people (small group, 1 person or private/custom treks possible with extra fee). Maximum trekkers per group: 10 people (special, private party groups can exceed maximum).
The Nitty Gritty Tour Details
Four Inca ruins, close to Cusco, acclimatizing walk, beautiful scenery
Gentle trails, dirt paths, grassy fields, mountains above Cusco
A great way to acclimatize to Cusco’s altitude in prep for a trek
1/2 Day tour
Easy, gentle walk
Touristy, but a must not miss tour!
When to Go
Daily departures with 2 or more people
6-10 people : 85 each, 3-5 people: 95 each, 2 people: 125 each. Driving or horseback riding available as add-ons.
Yes! Private, custom, add-ons all available. Can add this on to any trek or tour and can do this tour on foot, on horse-back, or via car.
You will be collected from your hotel or Plaza Regocijo (your choice) at 8:30am and driven with your guide to the first ruin site (Tambomachay). As you walk to and visit each archeological site, your guide will explain the history, architecture, and local traditions. The four sites are Tambomachay, Puca Pucara, Q’enko, and Sacsayhuaman. After exploring the last ruin site you will walk down to the Plaza de Armas in Cusco City. The tour takes approximately 4 hours. This tour can also be completed on horse back or via car depending on your level of fitness and preferences
- Meeting point: your hotel or the Plaza Regocijo
- Start Time: 8:30am
- Finish Time: around 12:30pm
- Daily departures with 2+ people
- Pick-up from your hotel or Plaza Regocijo (your choice) if you’re already out and about.
- Private Transport up to the first ruin site
- Professional English-speaking guide who will provide the guided tour
- 1 Day Tourist Ticket into the ruin sites; Tambomachay, Puca Pucara, Q’enko, and the spectacular Sacsayhuaman)
- Bottle of water and snacks (can cater to any dietary needs)
- Horse to ride (if you select the horseback tour option)
- Private transport between ruin sites and down to Cusco (if you select the driven tour option)
- Tips for your guide
- Horse to ride (if taking the walking or driving tour)
- Travel interruption/medical insurance
- Private transport down to Cusco (if taking the walking or horse back riding tour as we walk down from the last site to the Plaza de Armas)
The Cusco City tourist ticket included on this tour is for one day and includes the sites seen on this tour only. If you plan to stay in Cusco for several days and/or plan to do several tours you can upgrade to the 10 day tourist ticket when you book your tour. The 10 day tourist ticket includes the following sites:
- Puca Pucara
- Pisac Ruins
- Ollantaytambo Ruins
- Cusco Center of Native Art (Centro Qosqo de Arte Nativo)
- Inca Pachacuteq Monument/Museum (Monumento Pachacuteq)
- Qoricancha Museum (Museo de Sitio de Qoricancha)
- Contemporary art museum (Museo Municipal de Arte Contemporaneo)
- Popular Art Museum (Museo de Arte Popular)
- Regional History Museum (Museo Historico Regional)
Note that this ticket does not include:
- Qoricancha aka the Santo Domingo Complex (10 soles entry fee)
- Main Cathedral (25 soles entry fee)
- Maras (10 soles entry fee)
- Andahuaylillas (10 soles entry fee)
- Salineras aka Salt Mines (10 soles entry fee)
Typically people visit these sites in specific groupings, for example:
- Cusco Four Ruins: Sacsayhuaman, Q’enko, Puca Pucara, & Tambomachay
- Sacred Valley Tour: Pisac, Chinchero, & Ollantaytambo (plus Urubamba which does not require an entry fee)
- Maras, Moray & Salineras Tour
- Tipon, Pikillacta & Andahuaylillas Tour
- Cusco City Tour: San Pedro Market, main plaza, some of the above museums, and our city tour also includes Qoricancha and the Main Cathedral.
- Hat and sunglasses
- ISIC card if you are a student
- Rain gear and warm jacket in the event of inclement weather
- Good shoes for walking over pavement and dirt paths
- Money for souvenirs, tipping, extra snacks (Note: foreign money must be in perfect condition with no rips, tears, or marks, as no one in Peru will accept less than pristine bills)
Cusco often experiences all seasons in one day so it is a good idea to take a warm hat and gloves as well as a sun hat when you leave in the morning in order to be prepared for all weather.
WALKING BETWEEN RUINS
- 6-10 people: 85 each
- 3-5 people: 95 each
- 2 people: 125 each
HORSEBACK RIDING BETWEEN RUINS (available as an add on)
- 6-10 people: 110 each
- 3-5 people: 125 each
- 2 people: 145 each
DRIVING BETWEEN RUINS (available as an add on)
- 6-10 people: 95 each
- 3-5 people: 105 each
- 2 people: 135 each
Solo guest price available upon request
Yes, we do cater to any dietary restriction. We have had many people join our trips who are vegan, vegetarian, gluten free, dairy free, and have various other intolerances and/or allergies. Just inform us well in advance of your specific needs!
WHEN TO GO & DEGREE OF DIFFICULTY
Year-round, though the best weather is usually seen between March/April to November (or dry season). This tour is rated as easy to moderate as it involves gentle walking at each site. This is a great acclimatizing day tour as it is gentle walking at a lower altitude than Cusco. Please note if the weather is very poor the trail could be dangerous and we may have to cancel the trip and may be able to substitute another day hike or day tour instead, depending on the circumstances.
PAYMENT & PASSPORT INFO
Deposit: The entire day hike cost will be charged to your card when you book the trip. 50% of this is non-refundable.
Payment of Balance: The balance of the tour is due 30 days (changing to 60 days prior starting 2020) prior to departure and will be auto-debited via the booking software system on that date. If you wish to pay early, or use a different card to the one you have on file, you may do so by clicking on the reservation number in your confirmation email and entering the pin that was provided to you in the original confirmation email. If you wish to make other arrangements (e.g. pay cash in Cusco), please contact us. Please note if you book your trip within 30 days of departure, the balance of the trek will be auto-debited the next day. If you do not wish this to happen please contact us.
Passport: For this trek we do NOT need a photo of your passport bio page. However, as this involves international travel, please note that each traveler is responsible for knowing the re-entry rules for their country of residence/citizenship. Some countries require 6 months of passport validity beyond the final date of travel. Please ensure that your passport is up to date and meets your country and residency requirements.
Visa’s: Most countries are allowed to obtain a visa upon entry at immigration. Very few countries require a visa to be granted in advance. Please note that each traveler is responsible for finding out and obtaining a visa prior to entry if required. Please also note that tourist visas are for 90 days or less (typically) and you must show proof of return travel.
Please review our booking terms carefully.
- The minimum number of trekkers required for departure is 6 for the price quoted online. If the minimum is not met within 2 weeks of departure, Killa Expeditions reserves the right to offer the 1-2 paid trekkers the option of 1) paying the difference to take a private trek, 2) transferring their payment to another trek with more trekkers booked, or 3) cancel the trek and provide a full refund. Please contact us with questions.
- At the time of booking the entire day hike cost is charged. This is required to secure your spot on the tour and 50% is non-refundable. The balance of the trip (if any) is due within 30 days of departure (or 60 days as of 2020 trips)
- Cancellations: Initial deposit is non-refundable. You may cancel your booking by notifying Killa Expeditions or Agent used and the applicable cancellation fees shall be determined based on when the request is received by Killa Expeditions or Agent. (a) Cancellation received 60 days or more before departure of the first Product to depart in relevant booking: 60% of the Product total shall be refunded to you (Inca Trail excepted where 25% of the Inca Trail product total shall be refunded to you). (b) Cancellation received 59-30 days before departure of first Product to depart in relevant booking: an amount equal to 25% of the total Product shall be refunded to you. (Inca Trail excepted where no refund is payable). (c) Cancellation less than 30 days before departure of first Product to depart in relevant booking: no refund shall be payable to you.
- Travel Medical Insurance: is required to depart on any trek (including emergency evacuation coverage and high altitude hiking). We also suggest travel interruption insurance in the event of inclement weather or other unforeseen circumstances that may arise. Killa Expeditions is not responsible for losses incurred due to any travel interruption (ex: weather/natural phenomena, missed/delayed/canceled flight, acts of war/terrorism, strikes, etc.), passport, visa, family emergency, or illness/medical issues.
- For Full Terms and Conditions please see the policy linked at the bottom of our website in the footer. It is also available to read during the checkout process. https://killaexpeditions.com/terms-conditions-peru/
Helping Local Children or Andean People (Optional) Along certain treks we may encounter some local children and Andean people. If you wish to lend a helping hand you may bring some clothes, toys, books and school equipment (used or new), toiletries and other essentials, and new/sealed medication for a variety of ailments. You will be rewarded with their gratitude and beautiful smiles. Please do not give candy or sweets as they do not have access to dental/medical care and tooth decay can lead to serious illness.
For those who wish to help but take a trek that does not pass local people or villages you can leave your donated items with a Killa Expeditions representative and we will distribute them to one of the local communities that we support. You can also set up a day to visit a local community to donate your items personally! There are a variety of other ways in which to lend a helping hand to local communities (charity events, building schools, and much more). We support several local communities so if interested please get in touch!
WHY CHOOSE KILLA EXPEDITIONS?
ETHICAL, SUSTAINABLE, ECO-FRIENDLY Our mission is to provide exceptional treks, tours, and adventure trips with a strong commitment to environmentally responsible, sustainable, ethical, and socially conscious travel. During our trips, we make every effort to minimize negative impacts and maximize the benefits to the local people and natural environments we visit. We pay fair, livable wages, ensuring we hire and maintain the absolute best guides and support staff. We are committed to international sustainable tourism guidelines and have developed ongoing community projects and charity events supporting 4+ local Andean communities.
EXCELLENCE We pride ourselves on providing 5 star service before, during, and after your trip. Killa Expeditions is dedicated to excellent customer service and adventure experiences. We have been awarded the 2017, 2018 & 2019 Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence!
QUALITY When trekking through rugged mountain terrain, at high altitudes, with unpredictable weather, it is essential to have the best equipment available. We provide Mountain Hardwear 4 season tents (3 season for Inca Trail due to warmer weather), extra thick mattress pads, dry bags for your overnight gear, and more, to ensure a safe and pleasant journey.
NO HIDDEN COSTS Our treks and tours are truly 5 star and all inclusive. We do not charge extra to “upgrade” as we offer the best option included in the price already. There are no hidden meal costs, we are transparent about all inclusions, and best of all no booking fees!
SMALL GROUPS Our groups average about 8 guests per departure, and are typically a mix of solo travellers, friends travelling together, and couples, all of varying ages, backgrounds and nationalities. Come prepared to make lots of new best friends. If you book a custom/private large group we provide 1 guide per 8 travelers, ensuring a small group feel and specialized attention.
GOURMET Only the best, quality ingredients are selected from local farmers. Our chefs prepare a specially designed menu to maximize energy and facilitate acclimatization. And the dishes, a mix of traditional Peruvian cuisine and contemporary cuisines, are delicious too! And yes, we cater to any dietary need.
PERSONALIZED We can customize any trek or tour to suit your travel, fitness, budget, and time preferences. Got a corporate or work shindig, charity group, or other major event you’d like to book a trek or tour for? Get in touch, we can arrange everything for you!
LEAVE NO TRACE Our trips leave behind nothing but smiles and footprints, as it should be.
REDUCE REUSE RECYCLE We love our planet, which is why we reduce, reuse and recycle. Our gear is reusable (no paper or plastic plates/cups/utensils), we buy local goods that do not come in paper/plastic wrapping, and we recycle everything we can. This is not the norm in Peru but we hope to help it become the norm one day soon!
PASSIONATE All of our employees are passionate about what they do. Who wouldn’t be with majestic mountains and never-ending vistas as your office! We are proud to offer our guides and staff the highest wages.
WE GIVE BACK We buy locally produced food, hire native tour guides, and book locally owned hotels and restaurants whenever possible. We hold numerous charity events throughout the year in various traditional Andean communities. Events often involve distributing food, drinks, daily essentials (such as toothpaste, toothbrushes, soap, and more), toys for the children, shoes and clothes donated by many of our wonderful guests, and we are currently raising funds to finish building a school in the Willoc Community. Ask us about how you can help!
For further information about us please see the following links:
Equipment: learn about why we provide the best! http://www.killaexpeditions.com/our-equipment/
Our Team: meet some of our amazing guides! http://www.killaexpeditions.com/our-team/
Reviews – find us on Trip Advisor! Killa Expeditions Trip Advisor Page (Awarded 2017, 2018 & 2019 Certificate of Excellence)