MACHU PICCHU TRAIN TOURS
2 Day or 1 Day Itineraries
The MACHU PICCHU TRAIN TOUR is a must for those who don’t want to trek or have limited time but still want to explore one of the 7 man-made wonders of the world!
This tour can be done in 2 days with an overnight in Aguas Calientes, the town below Machu Picchu. Or it can be completed in one ambitious day! The 2D/1N Machu Picchu Train tour is best combined with a tour of the Sacred Valley of the Incas in the morning of the first day.
The Nitty Gritty Tour Details
Machu Picchu, train ride, Aguas Calientes, Inca Ruin, gorgeous scenery.
Gentle trails, dirt paths, grassy fields, pavement
2 days of acclimatization recommended to fully enjoy the ruins
2D/1N or One full day
Walking in town and in ruin site only
Easy, gentle walk
Touristy, but a must not miss tour!
When to Go
Daily departures with 2 or more people
2D/1N: 600, 2D/1N + Sacred Valley: 650, 1D: 500 USD (per person based on a group of 6-10)
Yes! Private, custom, add-ons all available. Can add any tour onto this!
- Pre-trek briefing Collection from your hotel in the morning or our departure point Plaza Regocijo (you choice)
- Private transport to the train station
- English speaking professional guide
- Meals and snacks
- Roundtrip train from Ollantaytambo or Poroy to Aguas Calientes
- Entrance fee to Machu Picchu Archaeological Complex
- Guided tour of Machu Picchu, plenty of time to explore on your own
- Round trip bus ticket from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu and back
- Hotel (double room) in Aguas Calientes (if you have booked the overnight tour)
- Private Transport back to hotel in Cusco
- Guided tour of 3 sites in the Sacred Valley (if you have booked the 2D/1N tour that includes the Sacred Valley)
- Hotel before/after the tour
- Lunch and dinner on the last day
- Items of a personal nature/souvenirs
- Wayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain Hike (25USD each) – must be pre-booked
- Entrance to hot springs (10 soles)
- Travel/medical insurance
- Tip for your guide(s) are optional but highly encouraged if you enjoy your trek
2 DAY/1 NIGHT ITINERARY
DAY 1: CUSCO – OLLANTAYTAMBO or POROY- AGUAS CALIENTES
Private transport will collect you from your hotel an hour before your chosen train time and take you to the Train Station in Poroy. You will take the train from Poroy to Aguas Calientes, the town below Machu Picchu. The train ride is very scenic and takes you through part of the Sacred Valley and you will have the opportunity to see stunning mountains. Depending on the time of train arrival you may have time to explore the town, visit the local market with handicrafts, and take a dip in the local hot-springs (10 soles, open until 9pm, bring bathing suit, towel, sandals). Dinner will be provided around 7:00 or 7:30pm at a local restaurant. You will stay in a lovely hotel in Aguas Calientes to rest up before tomorrow’s exploration of Machu Picchu! Note: If you choose to combine the overnight tour with the Sacred Valley tour, the private transport will collect you from your hotel at 8:00am and begin the tour of the Sacred Valley (seeing 3 local villages), ending in Ollantaytambo to catch the train to Aguas Calientes in the afternoon or early evening. See the Sacred Valley tour description for more information about this tour.
DAY 2: AGUAS CALIENTES – MACHU PICCHU – CUSCO
Breakfast is very early in order for us to take the first (5:30am) bus directly to Machu Picchu (2,400 m/7,875 ft). Once we arrive at Machu Picchu you will show your entrance ticket and passport. If you are a student you must bring your ISIC card to the entrance or you will not be permitted entrance. You are allowed to take in a small backpack (under 20L). From the entrance it is a 15 minute walk to the famous views from the South Zone of the farming terraces at the end of the Inca trail. Enjoy the early tour of Machupicchu with your guide who will unfold the mysteries of this magical site, explaining the history and flora/fauna. Your guide will spend about 2 1/2 hours relating interesting and amazing stories, explaining temples and special sectors. Your tour of Machu Picchu will finish between 9 and 9:30am after which you will have free time to take photos and, if you have pre-booked permits with us, to climb Wayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain. After you are done exploring the ruin site take the bus down to Aguas Calientes. There are many restaurants to choose from and your guide can also help find a nice place for lunch. NOTE: there are no bathrooms in the ruin site. There are bathrooms right outside the entrance, cost is 1 sol per entrance, and they provide a little toilet paper. You will be provided with a report to fill out about your trekking experience. Please fill it out honestly and realistically.
ONE DAY ITINERARY
For the one day tour we book the vistadome train to Machu Picchu (unless fully booked). This trip departs at 6:00am and includes private transport from your hotel. The train arrives in Machu Picchu around 9:45am. A guided tour is included, as well as a roundtrip bus ticket from the train station to the ruins and the entrance fee to the ruins. You arrive back in Cusco around 7:30 pm. Compared to the backpacker the Vistadome train is faster, has snack-service, bigger windows and is generally a more comfortable experience
WHY CHOOSE US?
Our itineraries are designed with your comfort and safety in mind. We provide 5 star service, the best guides, best equipment, and have a strong commitment to sustainable, responsible, leave-no-trace, eco-travel. We support local businesses and give back to local communities. Items on these tours that set us apart from the rest include:
- No booking fees (a $20+ USD dollar value)
- Your guide travels with you the entire tour: from Cusco and back and on the train roundtrip
- Snacks to take to Machu Picchu
- Comfortable, quiet hotel in Aguas Calientes on the 2D/1N tours (not a hostel)
- Dinner at a nice local restaurant in Aguas Calientes on the 2D/1N tours
There are hikes within Machu Picchu that you can do on your own if you wish. The hikes that do not require an entrance ticket are The Inka bridge and the Sun Gate (where the Inka Trail ends with a view of Machu Picchu city). Wayna Picchu Mountain and Machu Picchu Mountain hikes both require a paid ticket and there are a limited number of spots (200 at 7am and 200 at 10am). If you want to hike one of these please let us know well in advance as these spots fill up very quickly. Price per hike is 25USD. Please note we cannot guarantee you a spot for the mountains requiring tickets and that the trail is very steep and slippery and not for those afraid of heights or with vertigo).
- Hat and sunglasses
- ISIC card if you are a student
- Rain gear and warm jacket in the event of inclement weather
- Good shoes for walking over pavement and dirt paths
- Overnight items if you’ve booked the 2D/1N tour
- Money for souvenirs, tipping, extra snacks (Note: foreign money must be in perfect condition with no rips, tears, or marks, as no one in Peru will accept less than pristine bills)
Cusco often experiences all seasons in one day so it is a good idea to take a warm hat and gloves as well as a sun hat when you leave in the morning in order to be prepared for all weather.
PRICE AND NUMBER OF GUESTS
BOOK NOW: Machu Picchu Train Tour + Sacred Valley Tour 2D/1N
- Price for 6-10 guests: 650 per person. Price for 3-5 guests: 710 per person, Price for 2 guests: 790 per person USD.
BOOK NOW: Machu Picchu Train Tour 2D/1N
- Price for 6-10 guests: 600 per person. Price for 3-5 guests: 660 per person, Price for 2 guests: 740 per person USD.
BOOK NOW: Machu Picchu Train Tour 1D
- Price for 6-10 guests: 500 per person. Price for 3-5 guests: 560 per person, Price for 2 guests: 640 per person USD
A minimum of 2 guests required for this tour. Maximum of 10 guests in a group, though larger numbers welcome for private groups. Prices may vary depending on the cost of train tickets at any given time (regulated by the government). Private tours, single guests, customizations, large groups, and packages welcome! Please email us to customize. During high season (May – October) it is best to book this trip at least one month in advance as train tickets may sell out.
IN MACHU PICCHU
In Machu Picchu you can carry a daypack (up to 20 Liters) with your camera, water bottle or bladder, snacks, cold weather clothing and rain gear or poncho in case of rain (unlikely in
RECOMMENDED TIME OF YEAR TO GO AND DEGREE OF DIFFICULTY
Year round. This tour is rated as easy as it involves very little walking. It is recommended that you acclimatize in Cusco for a day or two prior to the tour so you can fully enjoy your time in the ruins. Note: it can be quite rainy December – February, though you can absolutely still go on this tour then!
Book Your Train Tour Now
BOOK 2D/1N + SACRED VALLEY
BOOK 1 DAY