MARAS, MORAY & SALINERAS TOUR
Half Day Tour
The half-day MARAS, MORAY & SALINERAS TOUR visits a colonial town, circular Inca terraces, and salt mines, located in the Sacred Valley of the Incas.
This tour is a lovely way to begin acclimatizing to the high altitude of Cusco and get ready for a trek if you have booked one. MARAS is a beautiful little town that maintains some of its architectural colonial charm. You can see amazing facades made of thin stone, lintels with sculptures in bas-relief and learn about textile weaving. At the MORAY ruin site, located at 3,450m/11,319ft, you can explore circular agricultural terraces with a complex system of irrigation. These terraces served as a natural green house to grow an extraordinary variety of crops at an altitude that they would typically only grow in the tropical Andes. It has also been suggested that they had a cosmological meaning. SALINERAS is a vast salt mine set in a breathtaking little valley in the Andean mountains. This tour has become quite popular recently and can be added on to any other treks or tours to have the complete Cusco experience!
Minimum passengers necessary for tour departure: 2 people (small group, 1 person or private/custom treks possible with extra fee). Maximum trekkers per group: 10 people (special, private party groups can exceed maximum).
The Nitty Gritty Tour Details
Circular Terraces, salt mines, colonial architecture, beautiful mountain views
Gentle trails, dirt paths, grassy fields, cobblestone streets
A great way to acclimatize to Cusco’s altitude in prep for a trek
1/2 Day tour
Short, gentle walk at each site
Gentle walking at each site
Has become quite popular
When to Go
Daily departures with 2 or more people
6-10 guests: 100, 3-5 guests: 110, 2 guests: 125 (per person)
Yes! Private, custom, add-ons all available. Can add this on to any trek or tour
You will be collected from your hotel or Plaza Regocijo (your choice) around 8:30am and driven with your guide to Maras, a beautiful little colonial village. At Maras you will see the colonial architecture with beautiful stone work and sculpture and learn about traditional textile techniques. You’ll have the opportunity to purchase some textiles here if you wish. We then drive to Moray where you can explore the incredible and still mysterious circular agricultural terraces that are surrounded by stunning mountain scenery. Finally, we will visit the salt mines (Salineras) where you can view the 3000 salt pools and watch the salt miners harvesting the salt of the Incas! As of June 2019 the Salt Mines are viewable only from above as the walkways between the pools are now closed due to damage from over-tourism. They are still beautiful and well worth the view. Salineras has a cute little shop where you can buy some hand mined Andean salt to take home with you if you wish. After seeing Salineras we take our private transport back to your hotel in Cusco.
- Meeting point: your hotel or the Plaza Regocijo
- Tour departure: 8:30am
- Tour finish time: approximately 12:30 or 1pm
- Daily departures with 2+ people
- Price USD:
- 100/person for 6-10 guests
- 110/person for 3-5 guests
- 125/person for 2 guests
- solo guest, custom tours, large private group tour prices upon request
- Pick-up from your hotel or Plaza Regocijo (your choice) if you’re already out and about.
- Private Transport to Maras, Moray, Salineras, and back to Cusco
- Professional English-speaking guide who will provide the guided tour
- 1 Day Tourist ticket to Maras, Moray & Salineras
- Bottle of water and snacks (any dietary need able to be catered for)
- Lunch (we find that most people prefer to eat at a restaurant of their choosing due to budgetary and culinary preferences)
- Travel/medical insurance
- Tips for your guide
The Cusco City tourist ticket included on this tour is for one day and includes the sites seen on this tour only. If you plan to stay in Cusco for several days and/or plan to do several tours you can upgrade to the 10 day tourist ticket when you book your tour. The 10 day tourist ticket includes the following sites:
- Puca Pucara
- Pisac Ruins
- Ollantaytambo Ruins
- Cusco Center of Native Art (Centro Qosqo de Arte Nativo)
- Inca Pachacuteq Monument/Museum (Monumento Pachacuteq)
- Qoricancha Museum (Museo de Sitio de Qoricancha)
- Contemporary art museum (Museo Municipal de Arte Contemporaneo)
- Popular Art Museum (Museo de Arte Popular)
- Regional History Museum (Museo Historico Regional)
Note that this ticket does not include:
- Qoricancha aka the Santo Domingo Complex (10 soles entry fee)
- Main Cathedral (25 soles entry fee)
- Maras (10 soles entry fee)
- Andahuaylillas (10 soles entry fee)
- Salineras aka Salt Mines (10 soles entry fee)
Typically people visit these sites in specific groupings, for example:
- Cusco Four Ruins: Sacsayhuaman, Q’enko, Puca Pucara, & Tambomachay
- Sacred Valley Tour: Pisac, Chinchero, & Ollantaytambo (plus Urubamba which does not require an entry fee)
- Maras, Moray & Salineras Tour
- Tipon, Pikillacta & Andahuaylillas Tour
- Cusco City Tour: San Pedro Market, main plaza, some of the above museums, and our city tour also includes Qoricancha and the Main Cathedral.
- Hat and sunglasses
- ISIC card if you are a student
- Rain gear and warm jacket in the event of inclement weather
- Good shoes for walking over pavement and dirt paths
- Money for souvenirs, tipping, extra snacks (Note: foreign money must be in perfect condition with no rips, tears, or marks, as no one in Peru will accept less than pristine bills)
Cusco often experiences all seasons in one day so it is a good idea to take a warm hat and gloves as well as a sun hat when you leave in the morning in order to be prepared for all weather.
Yes, we do cater to any dietary restriction. We have had many people join our trips who are vegan, vegetarian, gluten free, dairy free, and have various other intolerances and/or allergies. Just inform us well in advance of your specific needs!
WHEN TO GO & DEGREE OF DIFFICULTY
Year-round, though the best weather is usually seen between March/April to November (or dry season). This tour is rated as easy to moderate as it involves gentle walking at each site. This is a great acclimatizing day tour as it is gentle walking at a lower altitude than Cusco. Please note if the weather is very poor the trail could be dangerous and we may have to cancel the trip and may be able to substitute another day hike or day tour instead, depending on the circumstances.
PAYMENT & PASSPORT INFO
Deposit: The entire day hike cost will be charged to your card when you book the trip. 50% of this is non-refundable.
Payment of Balance: The balance of the tour is due 30 days (changing to 60 days prior starting 2020) prior to departure and will be auto-debited via the booking software system on that date. If you wish to pay early, or use a different card to the one you have on file, you may do so by clicking on the reservation number in your confirmation email and entering the pin that was provided to you in the original confirmation email. If you wish to make other arrangements (e.g. pay cash in Cusco), please contact us. Please note if you book your trip within 30 days of departure, the balance of the trek will be auto-debited the next day. If you do not wish this to happen please contact us.
Passport: For this trek we do NOT need a photo of your passport bio page. However, as this involves international travel, please note that each traveler is responsible for knowing the re-entry rules for their country of residence/citizenship. Some countries require 6 months of passport validity beyond the final date of travel. Please ensure that your passport is up to date and meets your country and residency requirements.
Visa’s: Most countries are allowed to obtain a visa upon entry at immigration. Very few countries require a visa to be granted in advance. Please note that each traveler is responsible for finding out and obtaining a visa prior to entry if required. Please also note that tourist visas are for 90 days or less (typically) and you must show proof of return travel.
Please review our booking terms carefully.
- The minimum number of trekkers required for departure is 6 for the price quoted online. If the minimum is not met within 2 weeks of departure, Killa Expeditions reserves the right to offer the 1-2 paid trekkers the option of 1) paying the difference to take a private trek, 2) transferring their payment to another trek with more trekkers booked, or 3) cancel the trek and provide a full refund. Please contact us with questions.
- At the time of booking the entire day hike cost is charged. This is required to secure your spot on the tour and 50% is non-refundable. The balance of the trip (if any) is due within 30 days of departure (or 60 days as of 2020 trips)
- Cancellations: Initial deposit is non-refundable. You may cancel your booking by notifying Killa Expeditions or Agent used and the applicable cancellation fees shall be determined based on when the request is received by Killa Expeditions or Agent. (a) Cancellation received 60 days or more before departure of the first Product to depart in relevant booking: 60% of the Product total shall be refunded to you (Inca Trail excepted where 25% of the Inca Trail product total shall be refunded to you). (b) Cancellation received 59-30 days before departure of first Product to depart in relevant booking: an amount equal to 25% of the total Product shall be refunded to you. (Inca Trail excepted where no refund is payable). (c) Cancellation less than 30 days before departure of first Product to depart in relevant booking: no refund shall be payable to you.
- Travel Medical Insurance: is required to depart on any trek (including emergency evacuation coverage and high altitude hiking). We also suggest travel interruption insurance in the event of inclement weather or other unforeseen circumstances that may arise. Killa Expeditions is not responsible for losses incurred due to any travel interruption (ex: weather/natural phenomena, missed/delayed/canceled flight, acts of war/terrorism, strikes, etc.), passport, visa, family emergency, or illness/medical issues.
- For Full Terms and Conditions please see the policy linked at the bottom of our website in the footer. It is also available to read during the checkout process. https://killaexpeditions.com/terms-conditions-peru/
Helping Local Children or Andean People (Optional) Along certain treks we may encounter some local children and Andean people. If you wish to lend a helping hand you may bring some clothes, toys, books and school equipment (used or new), toiletries and other essentials, and new/sealed medication for a variety of ailments. You will be rewarded with their gratitude and beautiful smiles. Please do not give candy or sweets as they do not have access to dental/medical care and tooth decay can lead to serious illness.
For those who wish to help but take a trek that does not pass local people or villages you can leave your donated items with a Killa Expeditions representative and we will distribute them to one of the local communities that we support. You can also set up a day to visit a local community to donate your items personally! There are a variety of other ways in which to lend a helping hand to local communities (charity events, building schools, and much more). We support several local communities so if interested please get in touch!
WHY CHOOSE KILLA EXPEDITIONS?
ETHICAL, SUSTAINABLE, ECO-FRIENDLY Our mission is to provide exceptional treks, tours, and adventure trips with a strong commitment to environmentally responsible, sustainable, ethical, and socially conscious travel. During our trips, we make every effort to minimize negative impacts and maximize the benefits to the local people and natural environments we visit. We pay fair, livable wages, ensuring we hire and maintain the absolute best guides and support staff. We are committed to international sustainable tourism guidelines and have developed ongoing community projects and charity events supporting 4+ local Andean communities.
EXCELLENCE We pride ourselves on providing 5 star service before, during, and after your trip. Killa Expeditions is dedicated to excellent customer service and adventure experiences. We have been awarded the 2017, 2018 & 2019 Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence!
QUALITY When trekking through rugged mountain terrain, at high altitudes, with unpredictable weather, it is essential to have the best equipment available. We provide Mountain Hardwear 4 season tents (3 season for Inca Trail due to warmer weather), extra thick mattress pads, dry bags for your overnight gear, and more, to ensure a safe and pleasant journey.
NO HIDDEN COSTS Our treks and tours are truly 5 star and all inclusive. We do not charge extra to “upgrade” as we offer the best option included in the price already. There are no hidden meal costs, we are transparent about all inclusions, and best of all no booking fees!
SMALL GROUPS Our groups average about 8 guests per departure, and are typically a mix of solo travellers, friends travelling together, and couples, all of varying ages, backgrounds and nationalities. Come prepared to make lots of new best friends. If you book a custom/private large group we provide 1 guide per 8 travelers, ensuring a small group feel and specialized attention.
GOURMET Only the best, quality ingredients are selected from local farmers. Our chefs prepare a specially designed menu to maximize energy and facilitate acclimatization. And the dishes, a mix of traditional Peruvian cuisine and contemporary cuisines, are delicious too! And yes, we cater to any dietary need.
PERSONALIZED We can customize any trek or tour to suit your travel, fitness, budget, and time preferences. Got a corporate or work shindig, charity group, or other major event you’d like to book a trek or tour for? Get in touch, we can arrange everything for you!
LEAVE NO TRACE Our trips leave behind nothing but smiles and footprints, as it should be.
REDUCE REUSE RECYCLE We love our planet, which is why we reduce, reuse and recycle. Our gear is reusable (no paper or plastic plates/cups/utensils), we buy local goods that do not come in paper/plastic wrapping, and we recycle everything we can. This is not the norm in Peru but we hope to help it become the norm one day soon!
PASSIONATE All of our employees are passionate about what they do. Who wouldn’t be with majestic mountains and never-ending vistas as your office! We are proud to offer our guides and staff the highest wages.
WE GIVE BACK We buy locally produced food, hire native tour guides, and book locally owned hotels and restaurants whenever possible. We hold numerous charity events throughout the year in various traditional Andean communities. Events often involve distributing food, drinks, daily essentials (such as toothpaste, toothbrushes, soap, and more), toys for the children, shoes and clothes donated by many of our wonderful guests, and we are currently raising funds to finish building a school in the Willoc Community. Ask us about how you can help!
For further information about us please see the following links:
Equipment: learn about why we provide the best! http://www.killaexpeditions.com/our-equipment/
Our Team: meet some of our amazing guides! http://www.killaexpeditions.com/our-team/
Reviews – find us on Trip Advisor! Killa Expeditions Trip Advisor Page (Awarded 2017, 2018 & 2019 Certificate of Excellence)